Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I wish that I knew what I know now, when I was younger

The class has come to a close so quickly, but I think we've all learned a lot. What is something you learned in this class that you wish you would have known during one of your first jobs?

(And in case you were wondering, that title is from a Rod Stewart song.)

7 comments:

  1. I definitely learned a lot from the few sessions that we had. I think the most important thing that I learned was the importance of body language and appearance and how that could affect the viewers opinion so drastically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most important thing I learned was how important it is to make sure your message is interesting to your audience. I think I wrote a few emails in my last job that went unread because I didn't really understand this point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that one huge mistake I was making during presentations before starting this class was not using arm gestures. I had incorrectly believed that those were distracting and did all that I could to keep my arms folded behind me so they would not “distract” my audience. How weird I must have looked while presenting! I plan on using gestures with every presentation I make at work from this point forward so I come across a bit more “natural”.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned a few things I wish I knew when I was starting my career. Mainly, that the message you are trying to delivery needs to be geared to your audience. I know now that it is crucial to understand your audience to ensure that your message will be received; Not only in presentations, but in written messages as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have learned to reverse the chronology, so that I start with the most recent and relevant experience first if I'm in a job interview. Also, I now know that I have to have my personal pitch ready, especially in this very competitive market, it's critical to be ready to get the message about who I am and what I can do fast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had known a bit more about planning a meeting and an agenda while at my first job. I thought the reading on this subject was very accurate and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found the unit on meetings helpful too. In the past I'd attended meetings which pretty much kept the same agenda that had been used for the past few years.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.