Having the opportunity to get up in front of the class and hearing the feedback was very helpful.
The next time I'm doing a speech or presentation, I will make sure I annunciate all of my words and will have strong supporting facts in my message body to support my main idea.
Thanks again everyone for your comments & feedback!
As for myself, I will need to pay more attention to my physical movements and not sway back and forth so much. I suppose that's from feeling nervous. I will also need to make eye-contact and maintain contact more with my audience.
I would definitely use index cards next time to avoid looking at a large piece of paper when I forget my next point. Also, I think one more example or fact to support my argument would've helped.
I would focus more on the structure (intro, body, conclusion) of my speech. Taking what I wanted to talk about and running with it was the easy part. More specifically, I need to work on using clear, memorable statements to open and close the speech.
I need to speak more slowly, which would help to make my sentences more clear for the listener. I also would work on having a stronger concluding statement that brings the entire speech together and reiterates the main points of the argument.
I would concentrate on not using 'filler' words to fill pauses in my presentataion. I usually use filler words as 'like' or 'um'. I would also try to end with a stronger conclusion to summarize my points in a concise manner.
When preparing for my next speech I will try to practice in front of someone before getting up in front of the group. It will help me get used to speaking louder and emphasising key words.In addition, I liked getting the feedback regarding my eye contact. I will definitely prepare index cards next time and write in the key words (3 P's) in big font!
For the next time, I would practice more and hopefully be less nervous. I will try to memorize more of my speech instead of going back to read my index card. I also think a huge part of it is being mentally prepared and to constantly remind myself not to overthink it.
I would breathe more before and during my presentation; which hopefully will help me slow down and connect with the audience. I might even practice in front of a mirror or video tape myself so I can pick up on my stance. My feedback was that I needed a more executive stance, so by looking at myself or watching a video I would hopefully pick up on it and make the needed adjustments.
For speeches, I usually mark down some key points and speak freely off those. By doing this, none of my practice speeches were the same. Next time, I may first write the entire speech out to have a better idea of lead-ins and transitions. After practicing with a fully typed speech, then break it into smaller key points on a index card. This way, I'll already know my key points, but the lead-ins and transitions will sound much smoother.
I was swaying too much in a rhythm as I looked around the class. I felt that if I looked at one person too long I'd lose my train of thought. Keeping eye contact for 5-7 seconds before looking elsewhere is something I need to practice too.
Receiving feedback from the class is extremely beneficial because it brings to light aspects that I may never consider.
I felt confident in the presentation, however, and to improve I need to spend more time on my opening and closing. Additionally, reviewing the content and working on powerful statements, such as parrallel statements or catching verbiage.
I think that I would practice my speech a few times but make sure not to over practice one part over another. I rehearsed my introduction numerous times and I believe that it did not blend well with the rest of my presentation. I think that practicing my entire presentation a few times and then having a few main points on my note card will make everything a bit more cohesive for the next time.
I would spend more time preparing the content and orgainzation of my speech, and use notes on index cards to guide me. I would also try to use pauses more, and just slow down in general. I have a tendency to rush through my speech and completely skip over certain points. I need to expiriment with taking exaggerated pauses (they will seem very long to me, but normal to the audience). This will help me slow down and collect my thoughts during the speech.
Next time I'm preparing a speech or a presentation I will make sure to work more on the content to make the ending just as powerful as the introduction. Also I will try to rehearse a little more.
Karen, I really enjoyed your energy and presentation. It's a tough call when it comes to rehearsing, how much is too much? I'm sure as you progress in your career, you'll only get better because you are a natural speaker.
I need to relax. For some reason I get so worked up about getting up in front of people. I thought my content was good, I just needed to get more comfortable with it.
Having the opportunity to get up in front of the class and hearing the feedback was very helpful.
ReplyDeleteThe next time I'm doing a speech or presentation, I will make sure I annunciate all of my words and will have strong supporting facts in my message body to support my main idea.
Thanks again everyone for your comments & feedback!
Kim, your presentation was perfect.
ReplyDeleteAs for myself, I will need to pay more attention to my physical movements and not sway back and forth so much. I suppose that's from feeling nervous. I will also need to make eye-contact and maintain contact more with my audience.
I would definitely use index cards next time to avoid looking at a large piece of paper when I forget my next point. Also, I think one more example or fact to support my argument would've helped.
ReplyDeleteThanks everyone for the feedback
I would focus more on the structure (intro, body, conclusion) of my speech. Taking what I wanted to talk about and running with it was the easy part. More specifically, I need to work on using clear, memorable statements to open and close the speech.
ReplyDeleteI need to speak more slowly, which would help to make my sentences more clear for the listener. I also would work on having a stronger concluding statement that brings the entire speech together and reiterates the main points of the argument.
ReplyDeleteI would concentrate on not using 'filler' words to fill pauses in my presentataion. I usually use filler words as 'like' or 'um'. I would also try to end with a stronger conclusion to summarize my points in a concise manner.
ReplyDeleteWhen preparing for my next speech I will try to practice in front of someone before getting up in front of the group. It will help me get used to speaking louder and emphasising key words.In addition, I liked getting the feedback regarding my eye contact. I will definitely prepare index cards next time and write in the key words (3 P's) in big font!
ReplyDeleteFor the next time, I would practice more and hopefully be less nervous. I will try to memorize more of my speech instead of going back to read my index card. I also think a huge part of it is being mentally prepared and to constantly remind myself not to overthink it.
ReplyDeleteI would breathe more before and during my presentation; which hopefully will help me slow down and connect with the audience. I might even practice in front of a mirror or video tape myself so I can pick up on my stance. My feedback was that I needed a more executive stance, so by looking at myself or watching a video I would hopefully pick up on it and make the needed adjustments.
ReplyDeleteFor speeches, I usually mark down some key points and speak freely off those. By doing this, none of my practice speeches were the same. Next time, I may first write the entire speech out to have a better idea of lead-ins and transitions. After practicing with a fully typed speech, then break it into smaller key points on a index card. This way, I'll already know my key points, but the lead-ins and transitions will sound much smoother.
ReplyDeleteI was swaying too much in a rhythm as I looked around the class. I felt that if I looked at one person too long I'd lose my train of thought. Keeping eye contact for 5-7 seconds before looking elsewhere is something I need to practice too.
Receiving feedback from the class is extremely beneficial because it brings to light aspects that I may never consider.
ReplyDeleteI felt confident in the presentation, however, and to improve I need to spend more time on my opening and closing. Additionally, reviewing the content and working on powerful statements, such as parrallel statements or catching verbiage.
I think that I would practice my speech a few times but make sure not to over practice one part over another. I rehearsed my introduction numerous times and I believe that it did not blend well with the rest of my presentation. I think that practicing my entire presentation a few times and then having a few main points on my note card will make everything a bit more cohesive for the next time.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI would spend more time preparing the content and orgainzation of my speech, and use notes on index cards to guide me. I would also try to use pauses more, and just slow down in general. I have a tendency to rush through my speech and completely skip over certain points. I need to expiriment with taking exaggerated pauses (they will seem very long to me, but normal to the audience). This will help me slow down and collect my thoughts during the speech.
ReplyDeleteNext time I'm preparing a speech or a presentation I will make sure to work more on the content to make the ending just as powerful as the introduction. Also I will try to rehearse a little more.
ReplyDeleteKaren, I really enjoyed your energy and presentation. It's a tough call when it comes to rehearsing, how much is too much? I'm sure as you progress in your career, you'll only get better because you are a natural speaker.
ReplyDeleteI need to relax. For some reason I get so worked up about getting up in front of people. I thought my content was good, I just needed to get more comfortable with it.
ReplyDelete